Module 1: Understanding and raising self-awareness of digital competence among educators and students
In order to help educators and students enhance their ability to effectively engage in digital education, an important first step for any strategy is to provide both groups with ways of gaining self-awareness of their digital competence levels and enable them to reflect on their weaknesses and strengths.
A number of general digital competence frameworks have been developed over the last few years with the aim of identifying the knowledge, skills and attitudes that all individuals need for life and active participation in societies where digital technologies play an increasingly important role. An example of this is the DigComp 2.1 Framework (Carretero et al. 2017), created by the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre.
Moreover, frameworks like DigCompEdu (Redecker & Punie 2017) have been specifically devised for educational settings, focusing on the competences that educators and students need in order to successfully engage in digital teaching and learning. Another example is Jisc’s Digital Capabilities Framework (Beetham 2017).
- [Essential] Animation introducing the main characteristics of DigCompEdu: https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/en/video/I-201842?lg=EN
- [Essential] The ‘Executive Summary’ (pp. 8-9) and ‘DigCompEdu in a Nutshell’ (pp. 15-17) sections of the European framework for the digital competence of educators http://dx.doi.org/10.2760/178382
- [Additional] Jisc’s Digital Capabilities Individual Profiles, in particular the following:
- Jisc ‘Six elements of digital capabilities’: Learner Profile https://repository.jisc.ac.uk/6619/1/JiscProfile_Learner.pdf
- Jisc ‘Six elements of digital capabilities’: Teacher (HE) Profile
- Jisc ‘Six elements of digital capabilities’: Leader Profile https://repository.jisc.ac.uk/7351/1/BDCP-DL-Profile-230419.pdf
0 of 4 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 4 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Which are the six top-level areas included in the DigCompEdu framework?CorrectIncorrect
According to DigCompEdu (tick all true statements)CorrectIncorrect
The DigCompEdu framework is based on work carried out by the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC), on behalf of the Directorate-General for Education, Youth, Sport and Culture (DG EAC) and it is directed towards educators teaching at (select all that apply)CorrectIncorrect
The DigCompEdu Framework does not allow adaptation and modification to specific contexts and purposes.CorrectIncorrect